Thursday, October 9, 2014

Solitary Sandpiper

I had today booked off work, so I decided to make the run to Wexford to try and catch up with the Solitary Sandpiper.  Killian Mullarney's fantastic photos of the bird spurred me, on as I was green with envy. I got to Mattie Maddock's house after 9.00 and immediately met Mattie who told me the bird did not arrive at his pond this morning.  With that he gave me directions to John Lamberts farm where the bird was originally found by John himself.  I got there met John and spent over one hour waiting for the bird to arrive back to his pool, but it never happened.  John arrived back and brought me off on his quad to a small wet corner of a field that remains wet most of the year round.. When we got there we immediately saw the Solitary Sandpiper and two Green Sandpipers (both of these flew off calling).  Here are the shots I managed to shoot before the bird flew off without either of us seeing it leave the field.  Thanks to John and the lads for all their help.  I was delighted to eventually get this bird on my Irish List.





Solitary Sandpiper near Duncormick, Wexford John N Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment